Sunday, January 4

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God


On April 26th 1518 Martin Luther, Master of Sacred Theology,
and Leonhard Beyer, Master of Arts and Philosophy, still members of the Augustinan order defended their "95 reformed theses" before their fellows Augustinians of the city of Heidelberg. A small city in the west of Germany around 50 km South of Frankfurt.

I spent my new year's holdays in this region and when I was at Heildelberg, lovely little medievel city, I was very impressed with their Castle.


Knowing that Luther spent some time in this city, I wondered if he probably was impressed with this Fortres-Castle as well as me. I thought that probably later writing this famous Hymn inspired in Psaulm 42, he thought too of this fortress-castle which in a mighty way protected the city of Heildelberg.

Just a thought and I wanted to share it with you.

I always loved this hymn, check the lyrics and the music of this beautiful Hymn here.
http://www.songsandhymns.org/hymns/sheetmusic/a-mighty-fortress-is-our-god

and

May Our Mighty Lord protect us and guide us on this new year and for ever and ever

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment